What says “fall” better than pumpkins and squash? They come in such a huge variety of colors, shapes and flavors these days! Our family was never into pumpkins though. I’ve never even tried them until recently because growing up my mom would say “they don’t taste very good”. Last year though, my friend told me about this amazing Acorn Squash with Walnuts & Cranberries recipe, that she said she loved, so I decided to give it a try.
Ever since, I became a believer. Believer in acorn squash, if there is one such thing. I have found out that not only is it loaded with – Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Potassium, dietary fiber, manganese, folate, Vitamin B complex, omega 3 fatty acids, copper and tryptophan, but then it tastes great too! The addition of walnuts gives you an added boost of healthy oils, which are good for your cardiac health and help you lower cholesterol.
Seriously, do you need more convincing? I firmly believe that this recipe can make a believer out of anyone, so what are you waiting for, go ahead and try it for yourself! With as easy it is to make, you practically owe it to yourself to try it!
- 1 Acorn Squash, cut in half
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ½ cup cranberries, frozen or fresh
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Turn your oven to 375F.
- Combine walnuts, cranberries and brown sugar. Toss to combine.
- Cut each acorn squash in half. Remove and discard seeds.
- Split the mixture between two halves of the squash. Top with 1 tablespoon butter each half.
- Place in a baking dish, loosely cover with foil and bake in a for 1 hour 15 minutes, to 1 hour 30 minutes, or until fork inserted into the squash goes in easily.
- Remove from the oven, place on a plate and serve right away.
- with each spoonful try to catch a little bit of everything, the walnuts, the cranberries and some of the syrup built up at the bottom of the squash. If it is not sweet enough, add a spoon of honey. Enjoy!
Bon Appetite & Happy Pinning!
Thank you for following me on Instagram, Facebook & Pinterest!
When you make this recipes make sure to hashtag your photo with #LetTheBakingBeginBlog as you upload them to social media, so that I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!