2 Ingredient Fresh Farmers Cheese {Домашний Творог}

Make your own Homemade Fresh Cheese...with only two natural ingredients, no preservatives and no nasty junk they seem to put in everything these days. Get your doze of calcium, tastiest way possible!

I make fresh cheese pretty often as both me and my daughter enjoy it for breakfast with honey, sprinkled with chia seeds. I like it not just for the taste, but also because it’s high in Calcium. Couple tablespoons can make up for your daily recommended doze. It’s great to use as filling for pastries, pirogees and (aka vareniki). I even know some pretty smart moms whose kids do not eat fresh cheese, generously stuff crepes and serve them for breakfast. Sneaky, huh? No, just smart!

I experimented with different buttermilk & yogurt brands and found one brand of buttermilk that invites the correct probiotic bacteria into the milk, to make the best quality fresh cheese. If you like homemade buttermilk, you can make that as well, all without the slimy looking product that regular buttermilk or yogurt produces.

I used to use cheesecloth to collect the curds and allow the whey to drip off, but I have always hated the clean up afterwards. Now I use paper towel lined sieve to achieve the same thing. Clean up is a breeze now as you just take the paper towel and throw it away. I can’t believe I didn’t come up with this sooner.

Over the years of making my own fresh cheese, I have also found that when I heat the buttermilk, dump it straight into the cheesecloth and hang it, it takes forever for the whey to separate, because all the curds have broken up and mixed in with the whey.
Lately though, after I heat the buttermilk, I use a scoop colander (any other colander with large holes and a handle will work) to gently remove the curds, then I give it a shake to remove most of the whey and lastly I transfer the now whey-less curds to the paper towel lined sieve, the cheese does not need more than an hour before all whey has dripped off and cheese is ready for consumption.

So, here are my step by step instructions to how I achieve perfect cheese, every time

Homemade Fresh Cheese

Serves: About 2 lbs (1 kg) fresh cheese.

Ingredients

Fresh Cheese

Utensils:

• Large Heavy Bottom Pot
  • Cheesecloth or Paper towels
  • Food thermometer
  • Sieve

Instructions

1. *Read complete post before the recipe to get a better understanding of how and why you do what you need to do.
  2. Pour 1 gallon of milk into a large heavy bottom pot.
  3. Heat to 100F, or until it’s slightly hotter than warm. (Do not make it hot, or it will kill the buttermilk culture.) Remove from heat.
  4. Shake the bottle with buttermilk and pour 1-2 cups into the warm milk. Stir for about 1-2 minutes.
  5. Cover with lid and allow to sit at room temperature, undisturbed for 12-24 hours depending on how warm it is. If room temperature is below 70, place pot of warm milk in the oven with just the light on (NO heat).
  6. Buttermilk is ready, when it’s thick and you’re able to ‘cut’ it with a spoon, that means when taking a spoonful of buttermilk, it doesn’t run like milk, but holds it’s shape. (When in doubt, leave it for full 24 hours.)
  7. Cut the buttermilk into 1 inch squares with a long knife.
  8. Insert a thermometer into one of the curds and start heating over very low heat. It will take about 15 minutes to reach to 120F. This is what it will look like when it’s heated to 130F.
  9. Make sure the thermometer is inserted into the curd, not the whey. Whey around the curds might even start boiling because it’s of less density than the curds. When temperature inside the curd reaches 100F, give a gentle stir with a large spoon and bring the hot curd from the bottom to the top. It only needs to be heated another 30F-40F degrees before you will need to drain it. You will see both cheese-like chunks and big curd chunks, that’s ok, that’s how it’s supposed to be.
  10. Once the temperature inside the curd reaches 130-140, give it another gentle stir, to break up large curd chunks and to distribute the heat evenly.

Option 1!

1. Carefully pour the heated curds to a different pot lined with a cheese cloth, then gather the ends of the cheesecloth, tie them and hang over the kitchen cabinet door handle or some other device. Allow the whey to drip off, until droplets fall about 30 seconds apart. At this point, transfer the cheese with the cheesecloth to the refrigerator. It will harden up and it will be easier to remove the cheesecloth without ruining the cheese ‘ball’.

Option 2!

1. Alternatively, place a sieve over a pot, put 2 layers of paper towel, completely covering the inside area of the sieve. Use a scoop colander (or something similar) to collect curds and shake off the whey, then transfer the collected curds to the paper towel lined sieve. Allow the whey to drip off, until the interval between droplets is 30 seconds or less.

Notes

To make homemade buttermilk, do not heat like you would to make fresh cheese, but vigorously stir, transfer to a jar and store in the refrigerator.

Bon Appetit & Happy Pinning

Thank you for following me on Instagram, Facebook & Pinterest!

Hashtag your photos #LetTheBakingBeginBlog so I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!

Make your own Homemade Fresh Cheese with only two natural ingredients, no preservatives and no nasty junk they seem to put in everything these days. Get your doze of calcium, tastiest way possible!

Bon Appetite!

Join 3,000 other food lovers enjoying weekly recipes.

Comments

Rate this recipe:

• This cheese is gorgeous! Love the photos where honey is dripping and where cheese is mixed with raisins – I want that for breakfast.

• Thank you! I actually took pictures two separate times because I wasn’t sure I liked the cheese where it’s mixed with raisins)) in the end I included photos from both times 🙂

• Where is the recipe for that nut & seed bar lying below the dish of cheese w/ raisins in that photo? Looks delicious! 🙂

• galina

Marina! thank you so much for this recipe. I just discovered your blog today you are awesome!!!!! I browsed all of your recipes cant wait to try some of your creations.

• Yummy!!! I love tvorog any where in any foods. I always wanted to try making it with buttermilk. Thanks for the recipe Marina 🙂

• I wonder if you’ve tried it yet 🙂

• […] fact we like all milk products, from regular milk, to buttermilk (with pan-fried potatoes, yum!), homemade fresh cheese, to sour cream (with borsh for example). While I do not own a cow and can not get fresh milk, I do […]

• Carol

Whole milk or raw milk? Isn’t most milk pasturized? What do you recommend if Dairy Gold buttermilk isn’t available.

• Whole milk. In this recipe pasteurization does not negatively affect final product. If Dairy Gold is not available, just look for buttermilk that contains live cultures, and then experiment with different brands for the best quality, but as long as it has live cultures it will work.

Also, I make raw, organic yogurt with my Probiotic 11. How would I do it differently to make buttermilk, but still raw & w/ my culture?
        I also have some Kirovskaya Russian kefir grains. Can I use kefir in place of the buttermilk?
        Can I make tvarog raw? I make a raw yogurt cheese but it comes out more like a cream cheese.
        🙂
        Thanks for the great recipes.

• Sorry, the nut and seed bar was purchased from the store, not something I made 🙁 I bought it at the Russian store, by the way.

Anything that has live and active cultures will be a good replacement for buttermilk, as it will do the same exact job.

To make tvorog you need to heat the cultured milk to about 110F – 120F, it’s well below the boiling point but still uses heat. There’s not way to make tvorog with unheated milk. The cultured milk curdles to the right consistency (of tvorog) only when heated. You can make cream cheese consistency cheese with completely raw milk, but not the tvorog consistency.

• This cheese is really beautiful! I cannot wait to make it. My Mom used to make cheese similar to this and I remember loving it!

• Marina

Marina, THANK YOU for this recipe! I wonder if the fatter buttermilk is better (like that Darigold 3.5% Buttermilk instead of a low fat 1% one)

• No problem Marina! Milk with higher fat content does produce more delicious cheese and yields more cheese, as well, but because there’s such small amount of buttermilk being added to the milk, I doubt it makes much of a difference on the flavor.

• The images are beautiful! It looks delicious! Thank you for sharing Marina. Glad to hear our buttermilk works well 🙂

• Oh thank You! I’m happy your buttermilk works for my cheese 🙂 thank you for making it!!

• Diana

I use leftover whey to make russian pancakes… just add a lil baking soda, flour, and sugar… they are amazing

• That’s a great idea Diana! Thank you!

• […] pot or heavy bottomed sauce pan, you’ll be done in a jiffy. Also, this recipe can use ricotta or fresh farmers cheese , as long as it’s well drained and not runny. If it’s not, not a problem, just put the cheese […]

• Is this truly cheese or more like a glorified yogurt? What’s the taste like?
    Thanks for the tutorial, this is really interesting.

• Hi Tina, Thanks for the question! It’s definitely not glorified yogurt. It has the consistency of ricotta cheese, but it’s not as bland as ricotta, because it has the tang of a yogurt.

• christine

I didn’t have that brand of buttermilk at my store. My milk mixture has been on the counter over 24 hours now and it’s not thick enough to cut. I just read through the comments and saw the buttermilk needs to have live cultures so I checked mine and it doesn’t say that it has those. 🙁 Any idea what I should do?? It’s the consistency of regular yogurt right now. ~christine

• If it’s thickened to yogurt consistency just start heating it over low heat and stirring it about every 7-8 minutes until you see curds form. When you see cheese curds form, stir a little bit more (follow the guide with the temperature in the recipe), then allow to cool and follow with the rest of the recipe. While it’s easier to figure things out when you use the mentioned buttermilk, it will still work with other buttermilks. I am just not a fan of that consistency that’s why I go with the one I mentioned in the post. Let me know how it all goes.

• Pam

Would it work to use goats milk? Is there a goat buttermilk?

• I can’t think of why it wouldn’t, but can not guarantee success since I have not done it myself.

• […] oz. of cottage cheese or ricotta cheese (1½ […]

• […] packed cup of fresh cheese (or […]

• Ally Koop

Hi Marina,
    I live in MN and am not familiar with dairygold buttermilk. Do you know of anything else I could use that would work as well? -Ally

• […] cup well drained fresh cheese (Can be replaced with cream cheese or ricotta […]

• Barb.

Can I use whole milk and substitute buttermilk for active plain yogurt instead and how much?
    Will I get cheese or some kind of yogurt?

• Yes you can. Using different kind of culturing agent (yogurt/buttermilk etc.) will produce different texture of the cultured milk, but once you heat it and drain it, it will still make farmer’s cheese.
      When using yogurt, I would use at least 1 to 2 cups yogurt per gallon of milk.

But if you did want to make yogurt, you would heat the milk, stir in yogurt and let it sit at room temperature until it’s thickened – that’s it.
      To make cheese, you heat this yogurt until the whey separates from the curds.

• […] one syrnik. One syrnik didn’t do it for me though. I wanted to make some more at home but had no fresh farmers cheese. Fresh farmers cheese is kind of the key ingredient in the recipe, so that was a […]

• Larisa

Do you suggest using room temperature milk and buttermilk? thanks!

• Since we will be heating both, it doesn’t matter if it’s room temperature or not. It will just heat faster if it’s room temperature to begin with.

• […] into a separate bowl. Add the remaining egg to 8 ounces feta, 3 ounces cottage cheese (or homemade farmer’s cheese) and mix together until everything is well combined. Now add the spinach and mix […]

As seen in