This soup was what we had for lunch, after Sunday church. I stayed home with kids that Sunday and made it while watching live stream of the service online (one of the hundreds reasons why I love technology). My husband loved the welcoming aroma of fresh soup as he walked into the door. I tried to use all the vegetables I had in the fridge to make it packed with not only flavor, but nutrition.
I started off by boiling a chunk of beef, clarifying the broth and then building on flavor with vegetables. Adding finely diced peppers & herbs, after the soup was made, gave it a nice summer touch.
- Yields: 4 qt pot of soup
- 3 qts water
- 4 medium sized potatoes
- 1 lb beef, chuck
- 3 strips bacon, fat rendered, crispy
- 1/2 cup pasta, Ancini De Pe Pe
- 1 large onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 cup baby carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup red, yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1/4 Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 tbsp scallions, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Fill pot with 3 quarts water. Wash meat, paper dry and place in the pot with water. Bring to boil. With a skimmer, collect impurities from the top, keep doing so throughout the whole cooking process. Cook for 2 hours. Add 1/2 whole onion (peeled) & 1 carrot (peeled). Keep cooking until the meat is fall apart tender. Shred the meat into small pieces, removing fat.
- Meanwhile, prep the rest of the ingredients. Render fat from bacon strips by cooking it in a skillet over medium heat until crispy, roughly chop. Peel, and dice potatoes into 1/2 cubes. Finely dice 1/2 an onion. Roughly chop baby carrots, or peel & chop into 1/3 chunks regular carrot. Remove the seeds from the pepper and finely dice. Chop parsley & scallions.
- Sautee onion in a skillet with a 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, until translucent and slightly golden.
- Once the meat is soft and tender, remove it from the pot and strain the broth, through 2 layers of paper towel (this will clarify it and remove fat). Add enough water to the clarified broth make 4 quarts and transfer the broth back into the pot. Bring to boil.
- Add potatoes, pasta, carrots & salt to taste , cook for about 7 minutes (until tender). Add sautéed onions, bacon, shredded beef & beans, bring to boil. Turn heat off, add finely diced pepper, jalapeno, parsley, scallions & garlic powder. Stir. Cover with lid and allow flavors to mend for about 20-30 minutes before serving.