Creamy Mushroom Goat Cheese Tart
When deciding whether to take an accelerated 5 week Chemistry course during the summer semester I had pretty much every single person tell me that it is not a good idea, especially if I want an A. Wanting to get into a competitive program that I do, I don’t want an A, I need an A. So, I choose to listen to one single person that told me to go for it. Yeah, I know, smart decision. 2-5 hours a day, for 4 days every week I literally had my brains fried and let me tell you, it is not fun, especially when you have a family to take care of. The one week when my youngest was in the hospital for 5 days really threatened to mess not only my nerves, but my grade as well.
My daughter is fine, just in case you’re wondering, and as of yesterday, I can add ‘survivor’ to the list of my life accomplishments. Survivor of an accelerated Chemistry course, that is, and not only did I survive the course, I aced it! To be honest, I still can’t believe that I did as well as I did in this class, because it was pretty tough. But hey, it’s over and and I am happy to go to bed at night knowing that I do not have to get up and got to school tomorrow, at least for the next 3 weeks.
During the last 5 weeks there hasn’t been much cooking going on in the kitchen, so sandwiches and fried eggs were my friends. I have learnt how to make Starbucks’ Gouda breakfast sandwich though. I will have to share how to make the fluffy omelet for that sandwich one of these days. So, you can imagine just how excited I was to get back and make something.
Some time ago I saw this idea on Pinterest and have been meaning to make this ever since. This quick and easy savory tart rocked my taste buds! Amazing alone as an appetizer or part of lunch, with fresh green salad. You should try it, it’s awesome!
Creamy Mushroom & Goat Cheese Tart
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough, cut in 4 squares
- ½lb – ⅓ lb button mushrooms, sliced
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Ground Black Peppercorns
- Salt to taste
- Chopped parsley
- Crumbled Goat Cheese or Feta
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- While the puff pastry is thawing, prepare the mushrooms.
- Saute diced onions until translucent and slightly golden, remove from the pan.
- Add couple tablespoons of oil to the pan and heat skillet almost to smoke point. Add mushrooms and continue stirring, to give them some color. After they release the liquid, allow it to evaporate.
- Add heavy cream, onion, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Stir. Allow the heavy cream to reduce, until almost no liquid is left.
- Put ¼ of mushrooms on each tart, spreading around, but not going all the way towards the border.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-16 minutes, until the sides are puffed up and golden in color.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve.
- To reheat, place in 400F oven for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with feta & chopped parsley.
Hashtag your photos #LetTheBakingBeginBlog so I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!