King of Napoleons goes Rectangular!

Delicious puff pastry cake, layered with custard & topped with berries. Plus a tip on how to speed up the baking process. by LetTheBakingBeginBlog.com

Hello my dear readers! Just dropping a post to make your Napoleon baking a little quicker. No new recipe, just a little tip that lets you cut baking time of the King of Napoleons cake in half.

I don’t know about you, but I absolutely hate rolling dough. Be it for a cake, pastries, or vareniki, I don’t discriminate. Hate it all the same. So I always look for shortcuts when it comes to that.

Making the cake rectangular is more efficient when it comes to baking, but also it makes it easier to cut it into smaller squares if you’re feeding a large crowd.
Also, this time instead of the simple crushed up cake layers to top the cake, I used berries & mint leaves. Fruits are a classic when it comes to custard & puff pastry so that was a no brainer, but next time I will add 1/2 cup more sugar to the custard, to compensate for the natural tartness of the berries.

King of Napoleons goes Rectangular!

Serves: 7.5 x 11 Cake

Ingredients

• Follow Instructions Here, but make changes as follows in the instructions below.

Instructions

Roll & Bake

1. The trick is in making your cake rectangular instead of round. If you don’t care about the shape, just follow the instructions for making the King of Napoleons cake, but instead of rolling out 8 round layers, split your dough in 4 pieces, then roll each one on floured working surfaced to a 13x19 size. This will be slightly larger than the baking sheet, but the cake shrinks while baking, so it will be OK. Bake on an inverted (upside down) 12x18 baking sheet. Bake as directed for 5-7 minutes or until slightly golden. Trim the sides of each cake layer with a knife or a pizza cutter to about 17x11. Reserve the scraps. They will be used for decorating later.

To layer:

1. Reserve 1½ cup frosting, set aside.
  2. Use the remaining custard to layer the 4 sheets of cake, topping the top layer with custard as well. Use a ruler and cut the cake in half. Stack one half on top of the other half. Spread the reserved custard all over the cake.
  3. Crush the cake scraps that we reserved earlier and press them against the sides of your cake, then sprinkle some on top.

Decorate:

1. Top the cake with berries of choice & mint leaves. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Bon Appetit & Happy Pinning

Thank you for following me on Instagram, Facebook & Pinterest!

Hashtag your photos #LetTheBakingBeginBlog so I can see your creations and for a chance to be featured!

Check the original recipe for a round Napoleon HERE:

Russian Napoleon | Let the Baking Begin

Join 3,000 other food lovers enjoying weekly recipes.

Comments

Rate this recipe:

• Girl this looks incredible! You sure know how to decorate a cake! Now all you have to do is invite me over for tea 😉

• Why thank you dear 😀 Yes, just give me a buzz when you’re in town 😉

• You know I’ve never been in Oregon for any length of time; just driving through, but it’s on my list! I really want to see Canon beach. Have you been there?

• Oh yes I have 🙂 Canon beach is beautiful with a very long tidal line… If you ever make it to the oregon coast, take the time to drive down highway 101 – it goes along the coastal line and you will be able to catch all kinds of beautiful ocean beaches, with different views… Try to catch it at sunset… you will be mezmerised!

• That looks so good!

• This Napolean Cake is absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful enough for any celebration! I imagine saying, “Wow!” when I taste it ,just like I said “Wow!” when I saw it! 🙂

• Thanks so much! it’s definitely one of only a couple favorites that our family has!

• Jennifer Marranci

I made this yesterday and was a bit nervous about the puff pastry as I have no food processor and dont drink so I couldnt justify buying a bottle of vodka. I have to say I cant imagine it being any better than it is having been mixed by hand with only the vinegar to keep the dough light. What a great recipe and the custard is yummy.! This has gone on my list of dazzler desserts. I cant wait to try it with fresh strawberries. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us!!

• Wow! That’s so great! I am so happy you found this recipe to be as awesome as I think it is 😀
      By the way, I don’t drink either and I bought a little tiny bottle of vodka just for this recipe 🙂 you can also use the vodka to make your own vanilla extract. Just add a split vanilla bean to the vodka and let it infuse for a couple of months 🙂

• Marlene

Can I sub puff pastry rolled very thin? I have quite a bit in my freezer to use up. Is there a non-dairy substitute for the milk in the custard that doesn’t affect the taste? I’d like to make his for a group than includes a few who are lactose intolerant. Thanks.

• Yes, that should be fine. Just make sure to roll it thin and either cut it within 3 hours of layering or give it a full day or two before eating. If you cut it within 3 hours, the layers will be crispy. If you wait longer then they will start soaking up the cream and the layers will be neither crispy or soaked through, so do give it a day or two for it to completely soften the layers.
      Unfortunately I have no idea what you could use instead of milk, not to change the flavor of the cream…

• Bea

coconut milk is a great sub for milk or cream!!

• marina

For crispy cake, do you leave on the counter or in the fridge and cut into it within 3 hrs?

• Hala

Hi, I can’t find 9% vinegar. If I use 5%, will I need to change its quantity? If so, how much of it should I use?

As seen in